Unread 12-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Default Why so confusing?

This is my second attempt to use the UDM menu for my local government web sites. It seems like it should be really easy to implement if the instructions were laid out by sections. Like, here is a folder that should be put at the upper level of your web site. Here is the code that should be placed in the head section of your web page and etc. I have installed other (less accommodating) menus and the directions for installation are very simple. They use images that show examples of where to place the various items on the page or in the site folders.
I have built help sections for our local GIS applications and I made sure that the instructions were easy to follow by even the casual user. I include images that show each part of the process no matter how simple the task just to make sure that the application will be user friendly.
Can't you guys do the same?
Unread 12-05-2007, 02:59 AM

If I may be allowed to play devil's advocate, the instructions seem to be about as clear as they can possibly be. For example, the quick start guide is very specific about where each of the javascript files should be placed. The only thing that it isn't specific about is where to place the unordered list that comprises your menu. Because menus appear in different places for different layouts, they can't be specific about that. Furthermore, each element that can be customized is commented and liberally documented in the support manual.

Don't forget also that there are a number of working example menus, to help you see how everything fits together. Just right click on a demo page and select View Page Source, and you should be able to easily pick out the various UDM related elements of the page.

Is there any particular part of the manual that you're having problems understanding? Do you prefer pictorial documentation to words? Is the customization documentation a little too cryptic for you? We'd welcome any specific suggestions you might have.
Unread 12-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Default Still confused

Thank you Vinyl. I open the udm4 folder and this is what I see:
1. extras
2. udm-resourses
3. template.html
4. udm4-php
5. udm4-asp
So where is the javascript file and where does it go? Where do I install the above mentioned files?
I'm attempting to install the Cambridge blue Vertical menu.
Unread 12-07-2007, 02:31 AM

Hmmm. I can see where you might be confused. Let me see if I can make things a little clearer for you. Here again is that list of folders, with a brief explanation of what each one is for:

extras -- Has two subfolders.
(1) arrows - Contains some arrow .gif files that you may or may not want to use on your site,
(2) udm3 - All the files you will need if you want to install version 3 of UDM.

udm-resources -- Has everything you need to install the javascript version of UDM.
Note: Within the root folder is a file called template.html, which is an example of how a javascript UDM page should look.

UDM-ASP -- Has everything you need to install the classic ASP version of UDM.
Note 1: There is a subfolder under UDM-ASP also named udm-resources. The files here are all for the classic ASP version.
Note 2: There is a file called template.asp, which is an example of how a classic ASP UDM page should look.

UDM-PHP -- Has what you need for the PHP version of UDM.
Note 1: There is a subfolder under UDM-PHP also named udm-resources. The files here are all for the PHP version.
Note 2: There is a file called template.php, which is an example of how a PHP UDM page should look.

In looking at all this a little closer, I think I would personally reorganize the directory structure of the unzipped version of all this. It would certainly make things a little clearer.

I hope I've helped clear up some of the confusion. If you need more help making sense of things or need help getting your menu setup, feel free to ask. That's what we're here for.