Unread 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Default Move site to new server - UDM menu broken

Hi All,
I've been tasked with moving a website to a new server. I'm not familiar with the site: it was created by a webadmin who is no longer around.

The UDM menu almost works...the background and F12 link on the Home link don't show up (incorrectly linked to graphics dir?) and the flyout menu appears, but it's overlapped on top of the main menu...and I see "undefined" at the end of the link.

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you
jillelaine
Unread 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Are you sure you copied all the files from the old server onto the new one? Sounds like that could be the problem.
Unread 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Default Thanks for the reply

I did go back and double check that I got all the files from the old server. All looks intact. I think the problem is related to 'telling' UDM the location of the files as the path has changed from the old to new server...and we're on a 'testing' server, so even the URL has changed temporarily. I've tried several combinations of paths but nothing seems to work quite right.

Or another possibility is the configuration of the new server: it's a newer version of PHP than the old server and also running phpsuexec...though it seems unlikely that this would affect the flyout menu config.

I do appreciate this helpful forum and documentation for UDM. But, at this point, I think I'll switch to another flyout menu with which I am more familiar.
Unread 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Admin

Can you post a link to your site? It may be a permissions issue on your new server. Usually just copying everything over works just fine.
Unread 11-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Default Second attempt

With your encouragement, I decided to start over with a fresh copy of the files from the old server. I uploaded the files to the new server and checked all permissions: all looks okay (permissions are correct for phpsuexec).

At first, the UDM menu showed as a long unordered list of links, all expanded. The menu does not 'flyout'.

I think the problem is that the paths have changed from the old server to the new server.
Old server: http://www.example.com/index.htm
New server: http://serverbox.hostingsite.com/~example/index.htm

Because of this I am unsure how to set the lines:
$config = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
in udm-dom.php and udm-style.php

Original setting of the above lines is:
$config = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/udm-resources/udm-custom.ini';

and the line:
$um['baseSRC'] =
in udm-custom.ini
Original setting: $um['baseSRC'] = '/udm-resources/';

And perhaps there are other lines I need to change to get the UDM menu to work correctly? Thank you so much for your help.
Unread 11-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Your web host would be able to tell you what the value of $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] should be. Alternatively, if your website supports PHP, you can create a file with the following code in it and upload it to your web server. Call it something like phpinfo.php, or something else just as long as the file extension is .php.

Code:
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
Upload it to your root directory, then run the page on your web server. For example, if you named the page phpinfo.php, you would type the following URL in your browser:

http://serverbox.hostingsite.com/phpinfo.php

Within that page, there should be an entry for DOCUMENT_ROOT. That's what you need.

One last thing: Once you have obtained this information, don't leave that file up on the server, as it contains sensitive information that you wouldn't want an unauthorized person to be able to access.

Last edited by vinyl-junkie : 11-17-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: More information
Unread 11-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Default [RESOLVED] Success!

Thanks to the above suggestion, I discovered that my $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] was set to /usr/local/apache/htdocs and not /home/user/public_html, where the website is located.

So the original configuration lines in udm-style.php and udm-dom.php, $config = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/udm-resources/udm-custom.ini'; meant that the server was looking for the udm-custom.ini file in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/udm-resources/, which was incorrect.

I commented out the original configuration line and wrote:
$config = '/home/user/public_html/udm-resources/udm-custom.ini'; in both the udm-style.php and udm-dom.php, saved and uploaded to the server, and, pow, that worked!

THANK YOU! Hope this information helps someone else.
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:52 PM

I'm glad you got everything working again! Moving to a new server can be a challenge on several levels, but where UDM is concerned, it usually isn't that hard to make the necessary changes to get it working again.