Go Back   Ultimate Web Site Drop Down Menu Forum > UDM4 > Demos and Configurations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Post Mac Firefox expanding menus don't appear plus parent link doesn't work

I'm really new to this so it's likely I'm overlooking something. Here's the test page I've constructed to try out UDM4:

http://depts.washington.edu/poeweb/t...rgraduate.html

It sort of works for Safari 3.0.4 (OS X.4.11), but not in Firefox 2.0.11.

The submenus won't appear in Firefox but the main (i.e., level-1 links) menu links do work; in Safari, it's the opposite: submenus appear, but main links that have submenus don't work.

Do I understand correctly that UDM4 is designed such that main <li> links that are followed by submenus cannot link to a webpage themselves (i.e., this is deliberate)? If that's the way it works, at least it explains the Safari behavior.

What I'm more confused about is the Firefox behavior (or lack thereof, eh!).

Also, neither browsers show the arrow indicating submenus exist, but that's the least of my issues. I suspect it's something I overlooked in the javascript custom file.

Marcus Duke
Washington Sea Grant
University of Washington
Unread 12-15-2007, 06:29 AM

You only need the id and class "udm" on the top level <ul> tag. Remove that from the other two instances in your code -- lines 51 and 61 in your page code (highlighted below in red). That will most likely fix your rendering problem.

Code:
<ul id="udm" class="udm">
  <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/advising.html" title="Advising">Advising</a>
	<ul>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/faq.html">FAQ</a></li>

<li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/transfer_planning.html">Transfer Planning</a></li>
    </ul>
  </li>
  <li><a href="alumni/index.html">Alumni</a></li>
  <li><a href="ugprograms/requirements.html">Major Requirements</a></li>
  <li><a href="ugprograms/es_minor.html" class="nohref">Minor Requirements</a></li>
  <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/beyond.html">Learning Beyond the Classroom</a>

<li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/beyond_opps.html">Current Opportunities</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/study_abroad.html">Study Abroad</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/notes.html">Notes from the Field</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/beyond.html#Learningintern">Service Learning and Internships</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/ugresearch.html">Undergraduate Research</a></li>

</ul>
  </li>
  <li class="onclick"><a href="/menu/">Undergraduate Resources</a>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/funding.html">Funding</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/grad_school.html">Grad School Planning</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/career.html">Career Resources</a></li>

<li class="onclick"><a href="http://depts.washington.edu/sao/" target="_blank">Student Organizations</a></li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Default Mac Firefox expanding menus don't appear...etc.

Thanks, much. I'll check that out later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl-junkie View Post
You only need the id and class "udm" on the top level <ul> tag. Remove that from the other two instances in your code -- lines 51 and 61 in your page code (highlighted below in red). That will most likely fix your rendering problem.

Code:
  <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/advising.html" title="Advising">Advising</a>
	<ul>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/faq.html">FAQ</a></li>

<li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/transfer_planning.html">Transfer Planning</a></li>
    </ul>
  </li>
  <li><a href="alumni/index.html">Alumni</a></li>
  <li><a href="ugprograms/requirements.html">Major Requirements</a></li>
  <li><a href="ugprograms/es_minor.html" class="nohref">Minor Requirements</a></li>
  <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/beyond.html">Learning Beyond the Classroom</a>

<li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/beyond_opps.html">Current Opportunities</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/study_abroad.html">Study Abroad</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/notes.html">Notes from the Field</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/beyond.html#Learningintern">Service Learning and Internships</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/ugresearch.html">Undergraduate Research</a></li>

</ul>
  </li>
  <li class="onclick"><a href="/menu/">Undergraduate Resources</a>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/funding.html">Funding</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/grad_school.html">Grad School Planning</a></li>
      <li class="onclick"><a href="ugprograms/career.html">Career Resources</a></li>

<li class="onclick"><a href="http://depts.washington.edu/sao/" target="_blank">Student Organizations</a></li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>