Go Back   Ultimate Web Site Drop Down Menu Forum > News and Information > General Web Trends and News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-09-2008, 08:08 PM
sl4shd0t
Default What Skills Should Undergrads Have?

kramed8 writes "As a student myself, after reading the recent 'Slam' article on Java I really began to be concerned with the path of my education. I am currently attending a small Canadian University as a 3rd year Computer Science and Business student set to graduate next year. What seems to have troubled me from reading the article and user comments is that I do not feel as confident as I want to be in C, ASM and other related low-level programming topics. I was taught C++ in my introductory courses, with subsequent classes using C# or Java. My education has not been particularly difficult or time consuming to get good grades, so I have spent my free time dabbling in topics and languages that interest me (ie Multiple GUI Toolkits, Python, Linux). How can I spend my free time in the next year to prepare to enter the work place with a proper toolbox of skills? From what I have been told, there are more jobs for Java and Data Warehouse development teams compared to lower-level programmers. As an undergrad, what skills should I be trying to attain now to further my employability in the future?"Read more of this story at Slashdot.
http://rss.slashdot.org/~a/Slashdot/...opers?i=mvIgdo</img>

More...